Having used oils since before I became pregnant with my first child, I always knew I wanted to use oils on my baby, but also wanted to do my research first. I spent hours and hours researching, digging into my desk reference (the science guide for aromatherapy geeks like me), studies and reports.
I found the basic cautions:
- Dilute essential oils heavily for children under two (at least 1 tablespoon of carrier oil per 1 drop of essential oil)
- Dilute for all children under 12, but with lesser degree of concern as they age
- Never apply oil to a young child’s face, inside the ears, eyes or nose. I personally add the caution for children 3 and under to apply to places under the clothes or the bottom of the feet to avoid accidental rubbing of oil in their eyes.
- Do not apply citrus oils to a child and let them play outside within 12 hours (causes photosensitivity/can lead to burns)
- Start with a low amount of oil, go slowly and watch for any skin irritation or other reaction (for skin irritation, add carrier oil like coconut or vegetable oil to disperse the oil; for respiratory or other adverse reactions, seek medical attention)
It pretty much comes down to being an empowered parent! Keep your oils out of the reach of children and when they use them, supervise carefully.
Now that the precautions are out of the way, let’s talk beneficial oils for children! I used oils while pregnant, and with my daughter as a baby and toddler. I can’t imagine not having these oils to help us get through everyday life! They are incredibly beneficial for keeping our whole family calm, healthy and thriving.
- During those early months, Ginger Vitality can be helpful in water or a capsule to support digestion
- DIY Body Butter: Nourish your skin and moisturize that baby bump!
- 1 Cup Shea Butter
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Almond Oil
- 10 drops Lavender
- 10 drops Frankincense
- Melt Shea Butter and Coconut butter. Allow to cool, but not harden. Add almond oil and essential oils. Freeze until mostly solid. This mixture can be whipped with a mixer to be a butter consistency.
- Happy Diffuser Blend:
- 3 drops Tangerine
- 3 drops Grapefruit
- 2 drops Lemon
- 2 drops Bergamot
- Sleepy Dust Rollerball: 1-3 drops SleepyIze essential oil in a 10ml rollerball of fractionated coconut oil
- Happy Tummy Rollerball: 1-3 drops TummyGize essential oil & 1 drop Ginger in a 10ml rollerball of fractionated coconut oil
- Well Baby Diffuser Blend: 3-5 drops of SniffleEase or Myrtle essential oil in the diffuser
- Seedlings Line: Baby Wipes, Diaper Rash Cream, Baby Wash/Shampoo, Baby Oil & more all specially designed to calm and soothe babies with only the purest ingredients
- KidScents Essential Oils are pre-diluted blends made for the needs of little ones:
- TummyGize – happy tummies all the time!
- SleepyIze – seriously, sleepy dust!
- GeneYus – focus in a bottle – great for homework and for parents too!
- Owie – great for skin
- SniffleEase – I won’t be without this!
- KidScents Shampoo, Bath Gel & Lotion take care of bathtime with the purest ingredients and amazing scents
- Got messes? Must haves for my diaper bag/purse include Thieves Spray, Thieves waterless purifier and at home Thieves Cleaner Concentrate gets the whole family cleaning the house together!
Essential oils have changed my toolbox as a parent. I value the best for my daughter and I know these truly are the best there is! How to get your own toolkit.